This is a perfectly balanced plate.
1 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups water
2 tbsp + 2 tsp oil
2 tbsp water
1 lb (450 g) steak, such as top sirloin or striploin
1 head leafy red or green lettuce
1 English cucumber
1 bunch cilantro
Toppings (optional): lime wedges
- In Multipurpose Steamer, combine 1 cup uncooked white rice and 2 cups water. Top with tray; microwave uncovered, on high for about 16–18 min, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together seasoning, 2 tbsp oil, and water. Slice lime in half. Using 2-in-1 Citrus Press, squeeze in juice from lime.
- Slice steak against the grain as thinly as possible. Add to bowl; stir to coat. Let marinate as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Tear lettuce into individual leaves; arrange on a large serving platter. Slice cucumber in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove seeds. Thinly slice each half; arrange alongside lettuce. Coarsely chop cilantro. Using a box grater, grate carrot. Arrange both on plate.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add steak in a single layer; cook until done to your liking, about 1–2 min for medium-rare. Cook in batches if your pan isn’t large enough to cook the meat in a single layer all at once.
- Once cooked, arrange steak and rice on plate with veggies. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
To slice steak as thinly as possible, pop it in the freezer for about 20 min before slicing—it should be chilled and firm, not completely frozen. Don’t forget to cut against the grain (in the opposite direction the muscle fibers are running) for a more tender bite.